We Strive For Excellence
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania;
Founded in 1837
Cheyney University of Pennsylvania is a public historically black university in Cheyney, Pennsylvania. Founded in 1837, it was the first historically black college or university. It is a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education and the Thurgood Marshall College Fund.
The Cheyney University National Alumni Association met for the first time on commencement day in May 1862. The meeting was held in Sansom Hall in Philadelphia where graduation exercises were scheduled. The association proved to be very active during its early years taking on projects of significant social and economic importance. Being acutely aware that education was perhaps the best means at the time to help eradicate prejudice against their race, the members set up a project that involved determining the number, location, and condition of all black schools in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Delaware and Ohio. Their purpose was to supply black teachers to schools that needed them. Thus, the first organized attempt at placing graduates was through the efforts of the alumni association.
- Unite all members of the Association in activities and actions to support Cheyney University.
- Promote the advancement of Cheyney University and higher education by sponsoring educational activities, providing scholarship aid to individuals, and support for University programs and facilities.
- Promote a harmonious, social and professional relationship between the members of the Association, Local Chapters and Area Representatives.
- The Association is organized exclusively for charitable, educational and non-profit purposes, as defined by Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, or its successor provisions and is not a private foundation as defined by Section 509 (a) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- More specifically, but without limitation of the foregoing, the purposes of the corporation are to promote the advancement of education by sponsoring, supporting, encouraging, aiding and conducting selective educational activities by grant of funds and gifts to the university in support of programs and facilities.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Join the CUNAA email list to stay up to date with alumni news and events
P.O. Box 288, Westtown, PA 19395-0288